Like, what did I do growing up?
Here's what I remember.
- I was homeschooled.
- We went to church every Sunday.
- We lived in a duplex next door to the pastor of the church and his family.
- The daughter in that family, Amanda, was my best friend growing up.
- Amanda's mom used to yell at them a lot. Like a lot. We could hear it through the walls.
- My dad was often unemployed. I mean, it was probably only a couple times, but it felt like a lot. He cursed out his boss, said he hoped his boss died.
- My dad once applied for work at a warehouse but they didn't hire him because he passed his drug test. At least that's what he said.
- My two older brothers were unhappy. They didn't like being around me.
- My younger sister liked to sing to herself and watch Lamb Chops on television.
- I stayed in my room and read the Hardy Boys books.
- Late one night, when I should have been sleeping, I saw my father in the backyard, digging. He buried something wrapped in plastic.
- The next day there were newly planted flowers where he had dug.
- The police came around to talk to my dad. His old boss was missing, did he know anything about it?
- My parents never moved from that house. My father refused, always refused, even when the pastor tried to buy him out.